Saturday, May 8, 2010

Dual citizenship in Korea

Dual-citizenship law passed in Korea

I don't really have a feeling one way or another on this law. I think it's cool if you want to become a dual citizen, and I think it's equally cool if you don't want to.

I do, however, take issue with the subsequent law being proposed. If passed, the law would void adoptees from having to serve in the Korean military.

Sorry, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. If one of the requirements of Korean citizenship is that you serve in the military (just under two years for all Korean males is mandatory), then I think you need to serve it just like every other citizen. Being a citizen isn't just about having rights, but also about having responsibilities to the country of which you are a citizen. That's a fact I think we Americans, in part because we don't have a conscript military, are often ignorant of. In my opinion, it's selfish of adoptees to want the rights of Korean citizenship without having to undertake one of the responsibilities of said citizenship. Being adopted is not an excuse. You want to be Korean then go, be Korean, but realize that being Korean (or being any nationality for that matter) has both ups and downs, and you cannot expect to be exempted from the downs for any reason after you've lobbied so hard to be Korean.

0 comments:

Post a Comment